5.27.2008

Tree Ordinance Update & Pruning at Town Hall



"Before"



"After"

Good morning, folks. We are wrapping up our tree ordinance and will hopefully have it ready for a public hearing at the July Town Council meeting. If you'd like to see a copy of the draft document, please let me know and I can email you a PDF of it. I will be meeting with our consultant this afternoon to decide which graphics to insert and just where they will go. I believe most people would rather see decent graphics instead of reading the actual text...so we will try hard to get some images in there that are self-explanatory.

Speaking of images, I want to share a couple of pictures with you of the pruning job that Davey Tree performed on a couple of oak trees here at Town Hall. The work was completed on Friday, May 23rd. As you can see in the "Before" and "After" shots, there isn't a LOT of visible difference. However, if you were to actually walk up and inspect the tree, quite a bit of material was removed. This is how a pruning job SHOULD look. Your trees should NOT look like this:



Tree "Topping" is actually VERY harmful to the tree and is NOT the correct method of pruning! The Town of Jamestown highly recommends that you seek the services of an ISA (International Society of Arboriculture) Certified Arborist. If you have questions or would like more information, I urge you to contact me at 336.454.1138 or mjohnson@jamestown-nc.gov for more information. I would be happy to discuss your trees with you, as I am also a Certified Arborist. While the Town does not perform tree work or make diagnosis of trees, I would be happy to point you towards those companies which employ Certified Arborists.

Have a great afternoon!

~Matthew (ISA Certified Arborist #MA-3153A)

No comments: